Joining the Fire Department
What It Takes to Be a Volunteer
The Torrington Volunteer Fire Department (TVFD) is staffed by 100% volunteers. They work regular jobs and still respond to emergency calls. Applications are available from any member of the department.
Currently TVFD has 4 openings for the position of volunteer firefighter. Anyone interested can contact a member about the application process. Refer to the Contact Us page or the Chiefs and Officers page for contact information.
Requirements for Membership
- All applicants must be between the ages of 21 and 40
- All applicants must be in good physical condition, and may be required to submit to a physical examination by the department's physician at the department's expense
- All applicants must be able to read and write in the English language
- All applicants must be of upstanding moral character with no felony convictions
- All applicants must be residents of Fire District Number 3 and live within a 4-mile radius of the fire station
- All applicants must have lived within Fire District Number 3 for 6 months of the past 60 months from date of application
Duties as a Firefighter
Once the applicant is accepted by the department, they will serve a probationary term lasting no less than 12 months and no longer than 24 months. Probationary tasks include:
- Must attend 75% of roll-call meetings. (Roll-call meetings are 2nd and 4th Mondays of every month)
- Must attend 60% of all calls during probationary period
- Must obtain a Class B Wyoming Driver's license with the necessary endorsements to operate all apparatus
- Must complete all other training and duties set forth by the Training Division Chief
All probationary firefighters must pass Initiation. The purposes of Initiation shall be to:
- Determine the ability of the member to operate and maintain various equipment and supplies pertinent to the functions of the department
- Determine the ability of the firefighter to perform the tasks necessary to properly fight fires, protect property and save lives.
- Determine the ability of the member to conduct themselves at all times with pride and integrity becoming to a member of the Torrington Volunteer Fire Department.